skip to Main Content

Is Pest Control Safe For Pets? How To Keep Your Pet Safe From Danger!

Is Pest Control Safe For Pets? How To Keep Your Pet Safe From Danger!

How to Keep Your Pet Safe From Pest Control Poisoning

The question we get asked about most, by pet owners is “Is pest control safe for pets?”.  This is a valid concern to have if you are a pet owner. If you are treating your home with pesticide and/or rodenticide you may be slowing poisoning your pet to death without even knowing it.

When it comes to curiosity, dogs and cats are much like 3 to 5-year-old children. They will investigate and get into just about anything if you leave them unsupervised for a minute. That being said, you must take similar approaches when protecting your children and pets from pest control poisoning.

The bottom line up front is yes pest control is safe for pests. However, this is only the case when you are responsible. When using pesticides on your dog or cat to remove fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes you must use products in accordance with label directions. If you do not follow directions, you can cause unwanted harm to your pet, damage their skin, and make them sick from poisoning.

How to Use Pesticide Around Your Pets

Like many pet owners, you can use pesticides in your home and yard to control bugs, insects, and rodents. Most owners, feel comfortable applying pesticide products on their pets to manage fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes. However, the majority of homeowners do not know what actions to take when spraying pest control chemicals around the house and yard.

Here are a few things to keep in mind when using pesticides, insecticides, and/or rodenticides around your pets:

  • Read and  follow the label directions carefully before using any pesticide
  • Remove pests from the treatment areas before applying pesticides
  • Remove pet belongings (i.e food, water, bedding, toys, etc) before treating with pesticides
  • Keep pets out of the treatment area for the prescribed amount of time
  • Place pesticide baits in areas where your pet can’t reach them

What to Do in Case Your Pet is Poisoned

There is always an outside chance your pet could get poisoned by a pesticide. Drooling, diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting are common symptoms of poisoning. So what should you do if you suspect your pet has been poisoned?

You should contact a local veterinarian or your local animal poison control center if you think your dog or cat has ingested toxic chemicals. I keep phone numbers for the vet and poison control stored in my cell phone and on my refrigerator. I suggest you do the same.

More severe symptoms of pesticide poisoning include difficulty breathing, tremors, seizures, convulsions, and unconsciousness. Call for professional help immediately if your pet experiences any of these life-threatening systems and get your pet treatment.

Pet-Friendly Pest Control

Are you concerned about the safety of your pet and not sure which pest control products to use?

Start with EcoSmart Organic Home Pest Control if you are unsure about which product to use. Ecosmart is a non-toxic pesticide alternative that is safe to use around pets and children when used as directed. Furthermore, this product uses a blend of essential oils to control and eliminate over 100 household pets. This is the number one product we recommend to pet owners who are concerned about harmful pesticides.

If you have tried or considered EcoSmart and you are still unsure, then try Wondercide Natural Indoor Pest Control Spray. This natural pesticide product smells like rosemary, kills & repels, is safe for dogs and cats, and contains no harsh chemicals.

With the Wonderside brand, you can safely spray this professional product in your home and in and around the kitchen to kill and repel 100’s of household bugs and insects including ants, carpet beetles, earwigs, fleas, flies, fruit flies, gnats, mosquitoes, roaches, scorpions, silverfish, spiders, ticks, wasps and more.

Lynn Edwards

Lynn Edwards

I was tired of spending $79 per month ($948 per year) for professional pest control services. Fed up with this out of pocket expense I decided to figure it out myself. I researched and read everything I could find about pest control, learned what works and what doesn't. I created the DIY pest control guide to save you time, money and help you protect the things you love from all types of pests. Since 2016, I have been taking care of my pest control problems without the help of a professional exterminator. I've learned what the pest control companies don't want you to know. Knowledge is power!

Back To Top
×Close search
Search

Want a Free Ultrasonic
Pest Repeller Delivered
 To Your Door?

Enter your email address below for a chance to win a TBI Pro Ultrasonic Pest Repeller ($29.99 Value) in my March 2020 giveaway.
You'll also get my Top 7 Non-Toxic Homemade Pesticides Guide and immediately be signed up for my exclusive newsletter.
SIGN ME UP!
We will never share your email address.
close-link